The first SAGE installation was retired in 1964, and parts of one of the early
retirees found their way to a prop department in Hollywood. Let's face it, the SAGE
computers were a special effects dream, with all the lights and switches. If you're
a science fiction fan, chances are you've seen parts of the SAGE system and didn't
know it! Irwin Allen, the “Master of Disaster”, produced several TV series in the
'60s, along with big budget disaster films. Many of his TV shows and movies used
parts of SAGE as props, along with frequently seen Burroughs and IBM systems,
and other retired military hardware.
I used to watch all of the Irwin Allen shows as a kid, including Lost in Space,
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, and The Time Tunnel. It
wasn't until I had left the Air Force and had seen some old pictures from The Time
Tunnel that I realized that the main computer in the tunnel complex was comprised
of sections of the AN/FSQ-7! Since that time, I've been looking for other
appearances of SAGE equipment on TV and in the movies, and have created a
web site with pictures of the equipment I've found:
One of these TV shows is Batman from the 1960s! Your claim is starting to become substantial.....
No comments:
Post a Comment